Tuesday, May 20, 2008

They're Back!

A new battle began in my bathroom this morning. No, it wasn’t another gray hair or a new-found wrinkle. I’ve surrendered to aging (sort of). An ant had the audacity to stroll across the counter like it owned the place.

“Get out of here.” I shouted as I thumb-pressed the creature to death.

The enemy now vanquished from my kingdom, I continued my morning rituals.

That was just a drifter. I assured myself. It’s much too early for ants.

Later, I went back to brush my hair. Another one paraded itself through the sink. I killed that one with greater force and a muttered curse.

Ants aren’t usually a problem until summer, although it has been unseasonably hot. It’s May, for crying out loud! Let me at least get through the month of June.

As I write this, an eerie feeling of déjà vu envelopes me:

They’re back! The damn ants have returned to the site of last year’s extermination.

Ok, battle on! This year I may use a gun.

1 comment:

Don the Baptist said...

A "flit" gun! Dirty Harriot rides again!