Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Why Am I Here?

At least once a day I ask myself this question-although not in the Purpose Driven manner of Rick Warren or in the naval-gazing custom of the highly evolved. No, I ask myself this with the hope that it will remind me of why I suddenly find myself in different rooms of my house.

When I discover myself in the kitchen, I always search the refrigerator first, hoping that a clue can be found in the pudding section. Failing that, I return to the last room I was in, confident that I left the reason or perhaps a clue there.

I’ve devised some techniques that may help others who have these senior moments or what I call Brain Farts.

1) In route, chant your quest as a mantra: I’m here for the phone, phone, phone. It's a good idea to include the name of the person you wish to call. Otherwise you'll spend the rest of the day trying to figure out why you're carrying a phone.

2) Create a song by including at least two other items with the same first initial but with completely different purposes: Basket, Bible, Ball. (Get it? Bibles and baskets don’t bounce well.)

3) Repeat the reason you need an item: Cut, cut, cut.
(This one can be tricky as I have gone in search of cuticle scissors and returned with a chainsaw.)

4) Write it down. (At the end of each day I frequently find my pockets crammed with little slips of paper with the number "8" scrawled on them.)

5) If none of these are helpful in jogging your memory: Return to the kitchen. Eat the pudding. Eight of them.

4 comments:

Don the Baptist said...

Bill Cosby says that since you were MOST LIKELY sitting down when you decided to get up and go into the other room, AND since you'll most likely remember what it was the moment you sit back down there is a simple solution. Grab hold of your backside and you'll instantly remember your errand.

Kathleen Flynn said...

Or, you spend the day holding your own butt.;)

Don the Baptist said...

Well, there's that.

Anonymous said...

I always wonder what I am walking around looking for - then I remember it's my mind cause I've lost it and dont know where it is - then I remember that its in the fridge where the milk should be - does that mean the milk is in my head where my mind should be ? Maybe it means that its after midnight and I should be in bed asleep, maybe I am and I am dreaming.