Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Farewell and Adieu. Don't Let the Screen Door Hit Ya . . .

Each year the image of a sweet baby in diapers ushers in the New Year, while the Old Year (1yr+1min. old mind you) is portrayed by a decrepit old man. The old guy is then unceremoniously thrown under the bus by a thankless bunch of fools throwing confetti around, blowing those stupid little paper horns and banging on pots and pans. (A tradition obviously not created by a sane person who's also a mother and the genesis of my catch phrase, Hey you kids! Knock it off!

Let's take a moment and think about some of the good stuff that happened in 2008.:

5) Ralph Nader was not elected President of anything, except maybe his own fan club. Ralph? Party of one? Oh, you brought your mom!
(Reality: That's still good news!)

4) Greed has, at last, been acknowledged as a bad thing.
(Reality: Nobody, nowhere has any money; zilch, nada, zero)

3) My son-in-law installed new headlights in my car for Christmas. (Actually, I get to use them for all holidays, including made up ones like Kwanzaa.) I can now drive through dark canyons without wearing my glasses.
(Reality: I'm asleep by 9pm, plus the CHP got that court order.)

2) It was a Leap Year so we had 366 days.
(Reality: There were 366 days!)

1)I'm grasping at straws here. To sum it up: That loud sucking sound you heard? That was 2008.

So, goodbye to the old guy and hello to the new kid. I think we can guess what little surprise he's carrying in those diapers.